Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Using Textual Sources Persuasively

If the problem in college-level writing is caused by writers being 'stuck' in main-idea/summary writing, why don't Elementary School teachers change their method of teaching writing? Is main-idea/summary writing appropriate for young children, but not for older ones? Why? Aren't young children just as capable of forming their own opinions?

That's a long question, and I know there are a lot of ways to answer it. I will probably only answer it partially myself, but I just wanted to put it all out there. Kantz's focus on college-level writing was not relevant to me as a teacher, but was certainly relevant to me as a student. I recognized the struggles she spoke about and appreciated her insight into how to 'bridge the gap' (excuse my use of her idea!) from high school writing to college writing. The more I read, though, the more I questioned the need to bridge that gap. If students were taught from a young age to think analytically and write critically, there wouldn't be a great divide. Students would not need to re-learn how to write ... and wouldn't that be incredible?!

I understand that young students must first be charged with reading comprehension questions, more to get the hang of reading properly than for any benefit to their writing. These questions are basic and of course must be addressed. However, why can't we ask them deeper questions, or allow them to delve further into the gray area between fact and opinion? I'm a big believer in the idea that simply setting high expectations for students is the greatest way to get them to succeed. How do we can we hope that students will learn to synthesize texts and integrate opinions into writing if we don't ask them to in the first place? While a third grader may not be able to analyze the U.S.'s involvement in World War II easily, he/she could certainly look up sources on the interactions between Virginia Indians and English settlers (and help reach an SOL, to boot!) I believe a third grader could look at these sources and pick out discrepancies, form his/her own opinion, and write critically about them -- if he/she is asked to.

Why don't we try to 'bridge the gap' by teaching students how to write effectively from the get-go? Great expectations often lead to even greater results! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment